Monday, February 1, 2010

February is Green Smoothie Month!

Well, it is for me at least.  

Most people have heard of the song, "June is Bustin' Out All Over!" from the musical Carousel. The song title came to mind as I was trying to fasten the top button of my jeans this weekend -- instead of "June," it's my waist that is bustin' out all over. Me -- the one who used to have such a skinny waist that any pants I bought for my hip size were always way too huge in the waist. Ha! Not anymore! My pants are feeling more like a vise -- or a girdle -- and, now that most of the Christmas goodies have been consumed, it's time to take serious action. 

I spent much of Sunday afternoon reading about people's experiences with green smoothies and raw food diets. One woman actually consumed nothing but green smoothies as an experiment, which lasted through much of 2007. She lost A LOT of weight as a result. I think that, if I were to drink nothing but green smoothies all the live-long day, I would miss having something to chew on. But my energy level would probably be off the charts. ;~))

So today is Day One of trying to drink a green smoothie (as Karen the Medical Librarian says) "every single dingle day." And my other goal is to eat mostly raw veggies and fruits during the day and have one cooked meal for dinner. No sweets for the sweet (with exceptions for the occasional dinner out) until I reach my target weight range, which means that I need to drop 15-20 pounds, the same 15-20 pounds that I have been carrying around for the past 3-4 years. 

Today's green smoothie: 1-1/2 cups of Odwalla Superfood, one banana, two apples, 7 or 8 frozen strawberries and a few handfuls of baby spinach leaves. I haven't finished drinking all of this yet (about one quart's worth).

DH went shopping at Costco today -- said that there wasn't any "green juice" (like Odwalla Superfood) but he did buy salad greens, so I'm good to go in that respect. I also set up a weight and waist chart because these two measurements will tell me everything that I need to know about how well I'm doing towards reaching my target waist size and weight range. "So, Bathilda, what ARE your goals waist- and weight-wise?" you may be asking. Bathilda isn't going to share actual numbers -- she isn't that revealing, but suffice it to say she has managed to add a whopping 7 inches to her waistline with the addition of the 15-20 pounds that are sticking to her like Super Glue. 

On that note, it's time to go drink some more of today's green smoothie. Adios amigos!

2 comments:

cjphayes said...

yes, baroque, fits me, too or most irregular in shape. i thought super food would be a powder but the man of the house says it is liquid. which is it? hope to get some tomorrow for the first time. i'm curious did Bikram Yoga help lose weight or just make you faint? looking forward to seeing your green tint on valentine's day.

Anonymous said...

Let me know how the smoothies work! I'm curious to see if you will really get that much energy out of them. I've never been a coffee drinker and don't drink caffeinated products very much so when I've tried foods/juices that will be make so much more energetic, I just don't see a difference. I have lost 10 lbs since Jan. 1st simply by adding a huge salad to every dinner, cutting out some carbs, and continuing running. Just finished a great book "How to End Overeating" that really spoke to me. The author totally could read my mind & I got so much out of it. Haven't had much in the way of sweets in a little over a month! Good luck with the smoothies! I look forward to hearing about the changes that will occur!